Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Slavery

A state legislator, Frank Hargrove made some racy comments on a measure where a certain state would apologize for slavery. My thoughts are.....let's all give a country wide apology and try to move on. I am all for equal rights for all the races. I think the man is just older, and probably tired of hearing about the woes in regards to slavery. It was a dark time in history, and we have to remember.........WE didn't start slavery. No one living is personally responsible. I think we all need to move on.......I'm not saying forget, but just try to live our lives the best we can. So many times these days, racial discrimination is mentioned. I hope no one uses that as a crutch. Can't we all get along? to read more about Hargrove...........Top News- Lawmaker Under Fire for Slavery Comment - AOL News The Irish were slaves. Look what happened to the poor Jewish people. We've all been wounded in some way or another, but we need to get past it.....and treat others as we want to be treated. Speaking of racism, I watched American History X today and I cried about 5 times. It's a very moving movie, please 16 and older. It would tramatize younger viewers. I'm against hate myself, and I do believe it starts in the home. If more young people learned how to express themselves the right way, and work out their problems instead of solving their problems with violence, the world would be a better place. So many young men and women are like the character in this movie. Young, angry, blaming everyone else for their problems. It's up to their parents, teachers, mentors, but mostly parents to teach them how to be responsible adults later in life. It's tragic how people grab and gun so quickly, and try to solve their problems. It's a deep subject. I highly recommend this movie. Have a great hump day.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I had a friend once who basically had all the strikes against her. She was a woman. She was black. She was a lesbian. Once she told me how sick she was of black people using slavery as an excuse. Just get over it, she said. I think nowadays, though, when black people talk about the slave days, it's because it still resonates for them. Even though we personally are not responsible for slavery, we are all a part of it's aftermath, and suffer the consequences of it. I'm not saying there needs to be an apology, or even reparations, but racism is a very real thing, and very insidious. I've known people with black friends, but when those black friends weren't around, they would casually use the "n" word. It would be wonderful if we could all stop hating eachother and get along, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. There will always be something to hate. Have you ever seen a ghetto? Or housing projects? There terrible places riddled with crime, drugs, prostitution, ligour stores and pawnshops on every corner. And they're filled up with black people, because they're still second or third class citizens in this country.

It's a very interesting topic, anyway. I didn't mean to go off on a tangent there, and I certainly do agree with where you're coming from. American History X was an excellent film, and I too cried many times while watching it.

At least we're not afraid to talk about it. I think most people are, for fear of being perceived as "racist".