Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A dream.......crushed?

Everyone has a dream. So did a man my husband and I met recently. My husband is trying to get a team together for county baseball. We met Ryan, 52, also a coach. Here's Ryan's story.



His older son, who is now 25, was a great baseball player. He played county ball, on a Cal Ripken league for a few years, coached by Coach Moon. Now Coach Moon has been around a long time. He's probably 57. He helps coach the local High school's varsity football team, and has been coaching a Cal Ripken league, among a few other county leagues for years. He decides to give Coach Ryan a chance with one of his County teams. Now Ryan's been around, and now his younger son, Karl, is 14 and is an adequate player. Ryan has help from some other Dad/Coaches and has a losing season a few years ago. Rumors fly from the players, a few players walk off the field and decide to play for Coach Moon. He's not happy, so after the season is over, Coach Moon tells Coach Ryan he won't be coaching any more of his teams.

I know.....Coach Ryan should suck it up...........but now he's assisting another coach, and most ppl don't know he used to be a head coach. This man is just like my husband--he loves baseball. I just felt sorry for him when i heard the story. A dream.....crushed.
Here's a funny link for all..........have a wonderful Tuesday. I know it's horrible neighbor day--tune in later today when i post a story about my neighbor's son-------- and used condoms. Dont miss it!!!!

RedneckWoman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know...I can't decide if this is a sad story on Coach Ryan's part or if this is reflective of a "win at all costs" attitude on Coach Moon's part. I realize I don't have all the details, but the allusions to rumors and player walkouts says there's a little more to the story, but still.

In the long run, though, Coach Ryan is still in the game and so it can't be all bad, right? There's a point where expert leadership is actually better than leadership by the guy who has the title. Think of all those World War II movies where the Lieutenant is fresh out of Officer's Training and doesn't know anything about what's going on. Fortunately there's a Sergeant in the group who has been fighting Hitler for nineteen years or whatever. Same kinda deal.