Tuesday, October 03, 2006

What's one more person?

Lately, I've forgotten about horrible neighbor day. My neighbor has been keeping to himself pretty much these days. Thank God. For any of you who have neighborhoods like mine, very diverse...We have all kinds of homes here. We have split foyers/3 bd/2bath our home has 4 bd/2 1/2 bath.....the new development down the street has the large homes, McMansions some call them. And we also have the small, older duplex's that were built in the late 1800's. In this one particular home, we've had about 5 diff tenants since we moved to Annapolis. Each time, an interesting lot comes. 2 tennants ago, we had a drug addict/his older aged party girl and her two teenagers. They were bad enough, but not as bad as the family we have now. I know what you're thinking....you mind your business/they mind theirs. It didn't always work that way. This family definately belongs in a trailer park, and sticks out in this neighborhood like a sore thumb. They have a small house. It's half of a duplex. It has 2 bedrooms and a small attic. Good for a couple and their two children. Only, this family and 2 tennants ago, they always want to cram people in. Now, we see someone else is living there also. Where do they put these ppl? Well, my husband finally got around to buying that new truck. Saturday, the father in that house, I call him " Billy Bob", came out onto his porch, looked over and pointed to the truck and threw up his hands. I imagine he's seething with jealousy. Anything we, or any other neighbor has gotten, he has to comment, and scrutinize. Now this man is an alchoholic ( spelling),and does work for his step-son. i'm sure he's had hard times for all of his life, but my husband, and neighbors work hard for what they've got. When my neighbor got a cute new little car, he said......" must be nice to have money". She shrugged it off. At that time, Billy Bob had no car at all. When he first pulled up over a year ago, his wife was driving a beat-up old pick up truck. Now, i'm not one to judge, but I knew what to expect from this family, and I was right. I just told my husband to downplay the new truck, mutter to himself about how many payments he'll have to make, and let it go. There will always be people who have less than you who are jealous. When I was younger, and drove a beat up older car--I was happy for people when they got new cars, furniture, etc. I knew my day would come. I just try and mind my business and live my life. Billy Bob will never understand how much work you have to put in to be a good mom, good businessman, good neighbor. He wasn't raised well, and I do feel sorry for him. To give anyone a laugh during horrible neighbor day........is a plus. Billy Bob reminds me of a mountain man. raised in the wilderness and never brought into society. One of my friends actually told me to talk w/ Billy Bob to see if i can help him in any way. We had conversations, but it's clear this man is beyond help. I'll be nice to him, but he needs to back off. I do value my privacy, and don't appreciate being watched. I've always kept my eye on him because I don't trust him. If you've ever had a neighbor like this, you'd know. I say.....be happy with what you have. I have a neighbor who has a hummer 2, and I like it. I know I can't afford one, but i'm happy for him. It's sad to think of a life where you are always wanting the life everyone else has. I like to stay busy and worry about myself. Do YOU have a horrible neighbor story?

No comments: