Friday, July 07, 2006

But can I return my gift?

I recently read a letter to Dear Abby or Dear Amy, whichever she is now....about weddings/gifts. I have a friend who I've known for years. Her only son is getting married in December. I found it odd how excited she was that the store her son and his fiancee registered from.....would refund the couple's money on any gifts they didn't want. And! Even though you may receive a coupon in the mail for 20% off, the couple would get the FULL amount back. She squealed in delight, and I was amazed. When I was getting married, I was happy just to get gifts, the thought of returning any of them didn't cross my mind. How shallow have we become that we instantly think of returning something. What is a gift? Myself? I kept that second toaster because it came in handy 5 years later when the 1st one broke. I appreciate every gift I am given. Even that tacky Xmas sweater with the bows and bells on it. I'm going to regift that. Now if i can just find a shmuck to like it.............! Have a wonderful weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm not sure about people who treat these events as little more than occasions to get stuff, or money disguised as stuff. That's a little disappointing.

Sometimes, depending on my mood, I'll buy a US Savings Bond as a gift. I present it as it as an investment in the recipient's future. And it's half-off! Heh.

Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

I heard about that store but purposely did NOT register at it for my wedding because of that. Returning gifts bites you in the ass, karma always gets you.

We registered for a coffee/espresso maker. Didn't get it, but got 6 espresso cups. After six months of the cups taking up precious real estate in my teeny kitchen, I decided to return them. Got there, realized I no longer had the gift receipt. Now the cups were on clearance so I got like $25 in store credit for them. Got home and guess what was sitting on my front porch just delivered from the UPS man? That's right, the coffee/espresso maker.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »